Welcome to Voice In Plus guide. The guide is divided into three sections
Upgrade to Voice In Plus
1) To upgrade to Voice In Plus visit https://dictanote.co/voicein/plus/
2) If you don't have a Dictanote account, the page will prompt you to create an account. Simply click on sign up (it takes < 1 minute). The account is free and it's only used to make sure you can come back to get your activation code - in case you want to activate Voice In Plus on another machine.
3) If you are on the page https://dictanote.co/voicein/plus/ and logged in, you will see an Upgrade Now button. Click on Upgrade Now and enter your credit card details.
We process payments through Stripe (a leader in credit card processing) and do not store any of your credit card information on our servers - rest assured your payments are processed safely and securely.
After your payment is processed, you will be redirected to a page that has your Voice In Plus activation code. Follow the instructions below to activate Voice In Plus.
Activating Voice In Plus
Visit the Voice In Plus activation page (Note that when you upgrade, you will be automatically taken to this page). You should see a message like the below screenshot:
The activation page automatically detects Voice In and activates Voice In Plus in your browser. Just refresh the page and Voice In Plus should be working.
You can check if Voice In Plus is activated by going to
At the top right corner you should see:
This means Voice In Plus is correctly configured. If you don't see Plus Activated, check how to activate Voice In Plus manually.
Voice In Plus Features
Voice In Plus unlocks six main features currently:
- Voice Commands
- Change Voice In pop-up location
- Advanced Mode
- Dictation Box
- Language Switcher
- Disable Uppercase
1) Voice Commands
You can create custom voice commands to add your specific mappings from utterances to text.
- If you are working as a doctor, you can map "Insert knee exam" to a knee exam related text block.
- You are a call center agent, you can map "refund issued text" to a text blob that explains to the customer that his payment refund has been issued
To create custom voice commands: go to Voice In options page
Follow the instructions for Custom Voice Commands. Note that Voice In already has many good voice commands for common tasks like punctuation, quotes, smileys, and special characters.
2) Change Voice In pop-up location
By default, Voice In shows a pop-up like below on a page when you activate Voice In. You can click on the button to open extension options. With plus, you can disable this pop-up / change the location of the pop-up on the page.
To do that, open the options page
In the opened page, change the UI Settings as you see fit
Click on the checkbox to hide the VoiceIn pop-up. Alternatively, use the select dropdown to change the location on the page.
After you refresh the page you want to dictate on and use Voice In, the pop-up will reflect the changes.
3) Advanced Mode
Some sites use complicated input handling which makes it hard to add text through the extension. For example, on Facebook, your status message text can contain person mentions, hashtags, etc. For this reason, Facebook uses complex logic to handle text input and text display. This makes it non-trivial for Voice In to insert transcribed text.
On many such sites, you can use advanced mode to dictate. Advanced Mode simply copies dictated text to the clipboard and pastes it at the cursor location. To the user, Advanced Mode behaves just like Default Mode. However, it is more robust and hence enables dictation on a larger set of websites.
Advanced Mode is enabled by default when you have Voice In Plus.
Check the list of websites Voice In works on with Advanced Mode enabled (Look at Category 2)
Sometimes you might want to disable Advanced Mode, check out How to enable/disable Advanced Mode.
4) Dictation Box
Use Dictation Box to type on sites where Voice In doesn't work by default like Facebook, etc. There are two ways to enable the Dictation Box:
Method 1: Click on the Voice In pop-up
This will open up the settings modal on the page. Select enable dictation box for this domain.
Method 2: Go to Voice In options page
In the Domains section, add in the domains where you want the dictation box to activate. For example, for Reddit- add reddit.com.
Once the domain is added, when you go to the page and activate voice in, you will see the dictation box appear in the top right corner as shown below.
Click inside the box and start dictating. After you are done, click copy to copy out the text in the dictation box and paste it into the desired field.
You can change the location of the Dictation Box by changing the location of the Voice In pop-up location.
5) Language Switcher
Language switcher makes it easy for you to switch across multiple languages. You don't have to restart Voice In. You can currently switch between three languages. To configure the 3 languages, go to the Voice In options page and scroll down to the language switcher section:
Select the three languages you wish to be able to quickly switch between.
There are two ways you can switch between the languages:
- Using Keyboard Shortcuts: As shown in the screenshot above, each language is mapped to a keyboard shortcut. When Voice In is ON on a page, use the keyboard shortcut of the language to switch to that language.
- Page Buttons: Click on the "Show language switching options in the page pop-up" checkbox in the options page to show the language switching buttons right on the page you are dictating. If you enable this option, you should see the language switching buttons on the page like below. Use them to quickly change languages.
6) Disable Uppercase In Dictation
A common issue with the dictated output is that it doesn't understand if the word in a given context is a proper noun or not. As a result, you will see words get capitalized that shouldn't be capitalized.
This setting lets you disable uppercase except at the start of the sentence. You can access this setting in the Voice Commands tab in Settings.
Upgrade to Voice In Plus today to support the development of Voice In. If you have a feature in mind that you want us to implement, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org .