If you see the following error below, it means Dictanote cannot access your microphone.
In this article, we present two methods, both of which solve the error. In the end, if both methods don't work, there are some pointers on what might be missing.
Before we being, make sure you are actually using Google Chrome. Dictation does not work on other browsers! It does not work on Edge / Chromium / Firefox / Brave / etc.
Method 1 (Simple)
All you have to do is click on the microphone icon in the address bar as shown below:
Change settings to always allow https://dictanote.co
Reload the page and you should be able to use the microphone.
Method 2 (Use only if Method 1 does not work)
If you previously disallowed Dictanote access to your mic in Chrome, you will need to enable it in your Google Chrome settings in order to use it once again.
Follow these steps to allow Dictanote access to your mic in the Chrome browser:
1. Click on the lock icon on the browser toolbar. It will open a popup. Click on Site Settings.
2. This will take you to dictanote site settings. Change Microphone to Allow.
Go back to Dictanote.co and refresh the page. You should be good to go.
If Both Don't Work
Again Make sure you are actually using Google Chrome. The Google Chrome is as shown below. Dictation does not work on other browsers! It does not work on Edge / Chromium / Firefox / Brave / etc.
If you still have microphone setup issues:
1) Make sure your microphone is connected and available.
2) Are you in a school/office workplace? There might be a firewall that is affecting communication with Google's speech-to-text servers. Make sure to contact your IT department about the issue.
3) Finally, we can help you too. Send us an email at email@example.com. Make sure you exactly your issue and we can help you set up your system.